Since there are few green spaces in the densely built-up Prenzlauer Berg, Mauerpark has developed into a popular meeting place for both Berliners and tourists.
In the Mauerpark, which lies between the districts of Wedding and Prenzlauer Berg, you can have a barbecue anywhere except directly at the playground and in a small birch grove. The green area was the death strip of the former GDR border. Today, on warm days, barbecuing, playing music and cheerful people can be found all over the meadows.
The Mauerpark also offers activities for the whole family, such as a climbing rock or a playground. All 6 to 16 year-olds can care for animals, cook, bake, felt, potter and much more on the youth farm Moritzhof.
Thanks to the fleamarket and the open air karaoke in the open air theatre, the park is always well visited on weekends.
The only drawback is the cleanliness of the Mauerpark, which, unlike other parks, is not the best.
The Top10 insider tip: If you find it too dirty in the Mauerpark and don't feel like towing, rent a grill and coal right next door in the beach bar Schönwetter* (Bernauer Straße 63) and enjoy the meat you brought yourself.
BBQ at MauerparkBernauer Straße 47
- Daily: Continuous
- Where can I BBQ?: All over the area, except for the little birch grove and next to the playground
- Cleanliness of the Park: "Juicy green" is definitely not the Mauerpark, additionally the park is quite littered.
- Next Restrooms: Some cafés on nearby Oderberger Straße, for example Bonanza Coffee Heroes where you can get Berlin's best coffee!
- BBQ Crowd: Students, families from Prenzlauer Berg, hipster and the occassional punk
- Activities: Basketball court, playground, grafitti wall, on weekends there is a fleamarket and many musicians performing life and free, the Friedrich-Ludwig-Han Stadium is right next to Mauerpark
- Parking: Difficult
- Remark: The beach bar Schönwetter* is nearby.