Far from Berlins tourist paths and yet centrally located at Hackesche Höfe in Berlin-Mitte, you will find the monster cabinet in Haus Schwarzenberg. Monsterkabinett lies next to the entrance to the Cinema Kino Central. Here, visitors are greeted by the showmen and are taken down a narrow concrete staircase to a dark vault where the art show begins. You can expect an approximately 20-minute art journey into an underground parallel world.
Performance artists guide you through the show of the monster machines. The tours are suitable for adults and brave kids from 6 years and older. The Monsterkabinett is much less a horror show than a fun art performance. The monsters are singing and dancing, they perform poetry and also tell mysterious stories.
The monsters come from a private collection of an artist group called Dead Chickens. In 2004, the Dead Chickens created the main attraction of the European Capital of Culture Lille. The monsters were created on the traveling exhibition "ChiMech - an odyssey of mechanical creatures”. Now they have found their home in the Haus Schwarzenberg in Berlin-Mitte. If you want to support the artist project, you can buy a small souvenir after the show.
The Top10 Berlin Tip: Be sure to be there 30 minutes before show starts and register with the showmen. While waiting for the show to start you can get a drink at the art-bar Eschschloraque Rümschrümp and enjoy a mysterious monster ambience.
MonsterkabinettRosenthaler Straße 39
- Wednesday + Thursday: hourly from 6:30 pm - 9:30 pm (last show)
- Friday + Saturday: hourly form 4:30 pm - 9:30 pm (last show)
- Price Level: 8,00 Euro, reduced: 6,00 Euro | Special guided tours outside the opening hours from 10 persons (on request): 100,00 Euro
- Card Payment: Cash only
- Recommended Age: from 6 years, children must be accompanied by an adult
- Note: Visit at your own risk, especially for people with health restrictions.